Save Power Every Hour: Earth Hour and Beyond
This Saturday 31st of March is Earth Hour. Earth Hour is a global event in which hundreds of millions of people, businesses and governments around the world unite to support strong action for climate change and SWITCH OFF their lights for one hour. Last year's event also marked the importance of going beyond the Hour to commit to lasting action on climate change. COOLmob's goal is to build on this and empower people to live more sustainably in their every day lives. Find out how you can move to action every hour beyond Earth Hour.
What is Earth Hour?
Earth Hour is a global event in which people, businesses and governments 'SWITCH OFF' their lights for 1 hour on Saturday the 31st between 8.30-9.30pm, to raise awareness and support for action on climate change.
More than 5,200 cities worldwide switched off their lights for Earth Hour last year.
How to be involved in Earth Hour:
You can also SWITCH OFF all non-essential lighting in your household, workplace, sporting club or neighbourhood between 8.30-9.30pm this Saturday.
You can register to join Earth Hour here
What can you do beyond Earth Hour?
COOLmob's mission is to empower people to live more sustainably every day. This means reducing greenhouse gas emissions through saving energy, reducing fuel consumption, reducing waste & recycling/reusing more. By making the suggestions below part of your every day behaviours and patterns you will make a lasting difference on global climate change.
- Have a household sustainability audit
- Install solar panels on your rooftop (read more here)
- Change to solar hot water heating (read more here)
- If you're using air conditioning trial turning the thermostat up to 26-28°C and always run it with a room fan (read more here)
- Reduce the pool pumping hours and purchase an energy saving pool pump (read more here)
Fans cool people, not rooms, so when you leave a room SWITCH THEM OFF. 1 fan running 24/7 will cost around $100 per year in electricity consumption (read more here)
- Use energy efficient lighting, and replace any halogen down lighting with LED or CFL alternatives (read more here)
- Turn off all stand-by power at the wall when appliances (such as TVs, computers and chargers) aren't in use (read more here)
Reduce Fuel Consumption
- Walk or ride a bike to work
- Find colleagues or neighbours to carpool to work with
- Use bio-ethanol and bio-diesel blended fuels (read more here)
- When purchasing your next car consult the Green Vehicle Guide
- Follow COOLmob's Eco Driving Tips to save fuel when you are driving (read more here)
- Reduce the amount of waste you produce. Do this through buying only things that you need, refusing plastic bags at super markets, buying products with less packaging and avoid disposable products (read more here)
- Re-use objects around the home/office
- Borrow items (such as power tools and lawn movers) from neighbours or friends or hold SWAP Parties
- Recycle household waste. Find out what you can recycle here
- Purchase clothes, furniture and other household items from second hand shops.
Want more information?
Visit the Save At Home section of the COOLmob website to learn how you can live more sustainably and make a difference
Contact COOLmob for more information
Having a sustainable lifestyle is much easier to do than dealing with the inevitable environmental and financial challenges of being 'unsustainable'.